On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 at 10:02am, KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote

> Thank you to all the generous folks who have given me suggestions.
> Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. I still get the same error
> massage with "[access as amanda not allowed from
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]]".
>
> Here's some clarification on my system. I'm trying to backup the
> tapeserver. My tape is on a machine called admin.jhuccp.org. The userID
> for both client and server is "amanda", group is "disk".

I thought there was only one machine -- what do you mean "for both client
and server"?

> I've tried all these variations in the /home/amanda/.amandahosts and
> /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts files (one at a time; the comments are how
> I kept track of what I tried):
> admin:/home/amanda # cat .amandahosts
> #admin.jhuccp.org               amanda.admin.jhuccp.org
> #admin          amanda.admin.jhuccp.org
> admin           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> #admin          amanda
> #admin.jhuccp.org               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> admin:/home/amanda #

You still haven't hit the write one.  The format is 'machinename user'
So, /home/amanda/.amandahosts should include:

admin.jhuccp.org        amanda

Other questions -- are you sure that /home/amanda is the home directory of
the amanda user?  It's listed in /etc/passwd.

> As an aside, is it still necessary to have both
> /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts and  /home/amanda/.amandahosts files? Do
> they have to be the same?

AFAIK, it never was necessary.  The only .amandahosts you need resides in
~amanda.

> Any additional suggestions?

What OS/distro are you using -- that's helpful info.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering