What is the exact error you get from cron?  Generally problems
from cron are related to it using /bin/sh for a shell instead
of whatever you might be (ksh, bash, csh, etc.) and that it
is only using the default system path (which is bare bones by
default).  There's also the outside chance that the Amanda user's
home directory is automounted and isn't accessible at the time
cron needs it.
   I don't think any of those things would result in a tape error,
though, so maybe the exact error might give us a hint as to where
to look next.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673