Also Sprach cwhite:

> i need a little help with my new tape drive
>
> i used to have an internal travan tape drive, scsi, which showed up as
> /dev/st0, i recently aquired an external dds3 drive, sony sdt-9000, so i
> took my internal drive out of the system and plugged the dds drive into it
>
> when linux boot's there is no problem finding the drive, it show up
> between my hard drives
>
> the first hard drive is id 0, /dev/sda
> 2nd hard drive is id 2, /dev/sdb
> 3rd hard drive is id 4, /dev/sdc
> sony sdt tape drive is id 6, no device is given here
> 4th hard drive is id 10, /dev/sdd
>
> i  am running redhat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.16

I'd upgrade the distribution since Redhat 7.0 is notoriously buggy.
At the very least make sure your kernel has the patch to fix
the POSIX capabilities hole.

> any help or pointer as to where i can find a solution to my problem
> would be greatly appreciated
>
> thx

The SDT9000 is a narrow device, I noticed that you have it on a wide
bus.  Is it the last device in the chain and are the 18 pins properly
terminated?

Also check the drive jumpers, sometimes you need to fiddle with them
depending on the SCSI bus and OS.

----
C. Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    GPG Public Key registered at pgp.mit.edu
"Your Pithy Aphorism Here!"      Or finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]