Do you have ipv6 enabled on your client?  If so, you may want to check the
archives for a resolution I posted recently regarding RH 7.2 w/ipv6 enabled.
Long and short of was that upgrading xinetd to a more recent rpm fixed our
problem.

A symptom of this problem was the message you reported from the amanda
server, but /tmp/amanda/amandad* (on the CLIENT) had lines similar to:
----
Amanda 2.4 REP HANDLE 008-B0DD0708 SEQ 1025278320
ERROR [addr 0.0.0.0: hostname lookup failed]
----

-ron