Hello there,

I'm trying to backup our Netapp filer using Amanda. I'm using the
modified dump program for Netapp obtained from the following article:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~johnpc/amanda-netapp.html

but still everytime the amanda script runs it is unable to write to tape
& the AMANDA report gives the following summary:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:  tapeserver /dev/netapp/comstock lev 0
FAILED [no backup size line]  tapeserver /dev/netapp/etc lev 0 FAILED
[no backup size line]

The disklist has the following entry for the netapp:

tapeserver         /dev/netapp/etc        netapp
tapeserver         /dev/netapp/home       netapp

where "netapp" is a dumptype defined as follows:

define dumptype netapp {
   global    comment "no compress, priority high"
   compress none
   priority high
   record no

I can see that Amanda is being able to execute the dump program on the
filer ( I can see dump files being temporarily written to the holding
directory ) but for some reason it is not being able to write to tape.
However there is no tape error. And when I look at the source code in
sendbackup.c, the error "no backup size line" is a result of condition
dump_size == -1

What could be the cause of this error ? Is it bcoz Amanda is not being
able to match certain patterns from the output of the Netapp dump?
Please do let me know with whatever feedback or suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Ashwin.