Hi all...

Trying to build amanda on a new sparc-sol8 box. Downloaded pkgs for make and
gcc from sunfreeware and installed them with your basic pkgadd -d pkg-name
command they seemed to install no problem.

# which gcc
/usr/local/bin/gcc
# echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/local:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

On ./configure, however, I get this:

# ./configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=sys --without-server
--with-amandahosts --with-tape-server=slaw.unterlaw.com --with>
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking cached system tuple... ok
checking for a BSD compatible install... config/install-sh -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for non-rewinding tape device... /dev/null
checking for raw ftape device... /dev/null
checking for Kerberos and Amanda kerberos4 bits... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

What is happening with this compiler...I used gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local, I
thought this was a stable release, am I wrong? I'm pretty sure I've used it
before...

Rebecca A. Pakish
Systems Administrator
Unterberg & Associates, P.C.