I decided to focus on getting smbclient backups working with amanda so
read the docs/samba stuff and added relevant entries to my disklist file
and also ran amcheck a few times.  I am running amanda on a Debian
Unstable system with a very recent CVS version of Samba that is in the
unstable tree of debian.  The tape device is a ecrix vxa-1 which has
worked flawlessly backing up bsd and linux systems.  The evening backup
just concluded and I got the backup report from amanda.  The message is
filled with errors like this:

? ERROR: string overflow by 10 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
+Settings\mperry\Local Settings\Temp]
? ERROR: string overflow by 18 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
+Settings\mperry\Local Settings\Temp]
? ERROR: string overflow by 16 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
+Settings\mperry\Local Settings\Temp]
? ERROR: string overflow by 20 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
+Settings\mperry\Local Settings\Temp]

and several NT sharing violations.

Being a newbie at the samba and smbclient backups, I am wondering what
these repeated errors mean.  Most of them occur in the "Documents and
Settings" folder.

The system being backed up is a Windows 2000 pro box.

Thanks for any enlightenment.  BTW, I set up /etc/amandapass per the
readme documentation to backup the C$ share and I am an administrator on
that system with an admin login.

Amcheck runs with no problems at all.

--
Michael Perry