The best doc IMO is DNS and Bind from O'Reilly.  If you are goiung to
be administering DNS suggest you buy it.

I assume you have a server that does DNS for the zone called
"systematic.lan".

If you are using Bind, add to the zone file after the ORIGIN statment
(or the @ symbol) a record like:

           IN MX   10 mail

then, if necessary, add an A record for the mail server.

mail       IN A    ip.address.of.machine

It will end up something like:

$TTL    3600
@       IN SOA dns.systematic.lan. domainadmin.systematic.co.za. (
        17      ; serial
        3H      ; refresh
        15M     ; retry
        1W      ; expire
        3600 )  ; default

                        IN NS   dns
                        IN MX   10 mail

mail                    IN A    192.168.12.69

<etc...>

IF you are using Windoes, select "New Mail Exchanger" and fill in the
values.  Make sure there is an A record for the mail server.

Do NOT point an MX name to a CNAME record ("Alias" on Windoes).  You
have been warned!