--On Friday, October 04, 2002 13:39:03 -0400 James Shearer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am new to amanda, and recently attempted a test recovery using amrecover.
> Alas, I did not get very far.  I recieved the "No index records for disk for
> specified date" error, despite having enabled indexing in my amanda.conf.
> Google turned up alot of hits for this error, one of which pointed to what I
> thought was my culprit: tar 1.13.  The generated index files in my amanda
> index directory has the leading numerals described by previously troubled
> amrecover users.
>
> So, I wrote a quick perl script to fix up the files and upgraded tar
> (today).  I removed the leading [0-9]+/ from the entries.

I'm not sure editing is a fix. Someone on this list reported that restoring
from one of the bad tar archives resulted in the files being OK but the
directories were all renamed (I think to big numbers), and that if you
knew what the paths were supposed to be you could (with a lot of work)
restore everything as it was.

> Still, however, amrecover reports the *same error*.  Is there some problem
> with repairing the index files after their initial generation?  Is there
> some other aspect of indexing that could be affecting these files, or
> amrecover's ability to find/read them?  Again, I did enable indexing in my
> amanda.conf and I have had no problems with setdisk or sethost.

Did you  check to be sure that you have an amandaidx entry in your (x)inetd
config and that there are no packet filters in place that would block
connections to it?

> I will see if my situation improves after the next run (and thus, gnu tar is
> used), but I would really like to know what's going on, if for no other
> reason as to have a better understanding of indexing in amanda.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jim

Good luck,
Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673