I was doing something I didn't realize was a problem.
Perhaps other may benefit from my goof:

global file:
     define dumptype AAA   {}
ERRONEOUS config file:
     dumpcycle 1 week
     define dumptype BBB {AAA;  then more stuff}

ERRONEOUS diskfile:
     node      disk     BBB
           #this is fine;  uses dumpcycle 7 days = 1week
     node2    disk2   AAA
          #  NOT ok;   uses some generic default dumpcycle of 10 days

The FIX:
config file:
      dumpcycle 1 week
      define dumptype BBB  {AAA;  more stuff}
      define dumptype CCC  {AAA}

Use BBB or CCC   but do not ever use AAA directly in a disklist.
This wasn't obvious to me!
Deb Baddorf
Deb Baddorf         [EMAIL PROTECTED]              840-2289
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
- George Burns                                          <IXOYE><