At 08:17 AM 10/24/2002 -0400, you wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 at 4:22pm, Alan Horn wrote

> Has anyone else encountered this problem ?
Yup.

> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   releng.ink /export/releng2/shipped lev 0 FAILED [Request to
> releng.inktomi.com timed out.]
>
> With the disks being larger then the capacity of a single backup volume
> I'm therefore backing up subdirs using gtar. The filesystems have lots and
> lots of small files. I've increased etimeout in amanda.conf to 6000s, and
> still I get the timeouts.
In my case  (and several others that I've read about)
it's a firewall in between which is timing out.   Since the connection
is started by the server,  the connection is allowed until that
initial connect times out.   If the reply takes longer than that
timeout,   it comes back as a new request initiated by client  -----
and in my case, I needed a filewall rule to permit it.

YMMV,  but do check this if you have any firewalls!
Deb Baddorf
Deb Baddorf         [EMAIL PROTECTED]              840-2289
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
- George Burns                                          <IXOYE><