Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 06:18:22PM +0000, Marius Sorteberg wrote:

Hi list,

I use Amanda2.4.3 on FreeBSD 4.7, compiled from ports.
My tapedevice is a DLT 15/30.

I recently switched to software compression, and therefore whish to disable hardware compression. This is done with "mt comp off" on FreeBSD, and works well on my hardware. The tapedevice is external, in it's own case (the backup server is 1U).

The "mt " command is lost after a reboot, or a powercycle on the tapedevice.
A small script, run by cron would solve this, but is it "a better way"?
I guess I'm looking for a setting in amanda.conf.

how about having the cron entry NOT run amdump directly, but do a 2 line
shell script, mt, then amdump.

You can also check and see if there is a dip switch or other setting which disables hardware compression on the device itself. Fixing it for the reboot would as simple as adding a command to your boot scripts. The whole powercycle thing would be best to use Jon's method. The cron job could even incorporate the command...'* * * * * mt comp off; amdump daily' or whatever.

=G=

=G=