Incremental backups are at the file level, like Gnutar (exactly like Gnutar,
if that's the program you're using for backups.)

AFAIK, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Informix, MSSQL, et al cannot restore from a
straight backup of the live database files, and this is never the
recommended method of backup. You should use the utilities provided by the
database vendor to dump a copy of the database to a static file on disk,
then backup that file. I was assuming you were already doing that, and that
this was a database that was only dumped weekly, with incremental logs
appearing daily.

My understanding of Oracle (search the amanda-users archives for details) is
that if you're not dumping the database to a file for your backups, you
essentially don't have backups. (The exception is backup programs that use
the Oracle API rather than the file system.)

The no-reuse option can be used for permanent offsites, but you should add
new tapes to the rotation to keep the number available at the right level.

(Just curious: Does "offsite permanently" mean that they're in the same bin
with the 9-track tapes? Magnetic media doesn't last "permanently" anywhere,
especially on the big magnet we call planet Earth. Might want to plan other
storage systems if you really need "permanent".