GJ> Jason Lavigne wrote:

>>For configuration, testing and restore purposes for newbies like me.
>>Thanks to the nice folks on this list I have been pointed to a ton of
>>documentation and now I will read it and hopefully understand Amanda
>>enough to understand if a GUI makes sense. If it does I will take a stab
>>at maybe a Webmin module or something similar.

I will have a close look to it.

Personally I donīt think a GUI has anything to do in a field like
filesystem-backup.

Understanding at least the basic principles of filesystems and
according backup-schemes and -mechanisms seems necessary to me to
assure the backup is worth something.

What would you use the GUI for?

You have to understand Amandaīs way of doing things as well as your
specific situation (~DLEs) to know which value to choose from that
fancy dropdown-menu.

I understand the beginnerīs vague need for "it seems simpler, so it
will work"-GUI, but I heavily recommend to wrap your head around the
well-designed and grown-by-evolution ways Amanda does her jobs.

---

It will make you happier and sleep better, if you understand.

---

Not that I donīt want to see some GUI-interface making all that
backup-stuff even easier. Show me what you think can be done in backup
via GUI. I am ready to learn all the time.

--

best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger