On Tuesday 18 January 2005 04:25, Peter Guhl wrote:
>Hi
>
>On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 17:09, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Is that tape being properly rewound Peter?  Most drives will fully
>> rewind a tape before they allow it to be ejected, maybe you should
>> eject it and look at it between each pass.
>
>It's probably not rewound, you're right. Eject and look at it is
> hard - there are 50km between me and this tape ;)

And there are no remotely operatable hands there? I've found they can
be very usefull from time to time, and feel comfortable doing it
provided I'm not sending them someplace where they could be
crispy-crittered.  Some of the things I deal with could do that very
very easily, even tried to do me a couple of times.  The final power
supply in the transmitter I maintain can do over 100KW at 7700 volts.
Thats not a play toy, its dead, seriously dead stuff. :-)

But thats not the case with a tape, the problem I find is more often
one of describing to the telehands, what it is that they should be
seeing.  That can be difficult when the person on the other end never
saw a tape in his life before.  So the drive might be required.

> But I guess it
> doesn't really matter since it's too much written for beeing at the
> end and too few for beeing at the beginning. No matter where it
> starts - it should write until the end and then either rewind
> (=write another 15GB the next time I try) or stay there (= writing
> 0B). At least that's what I suspect if it acts logically.

Generally, hitting an EOT will not cause a rewind unless *you* issue
the command.  And depending on what changer script you are using, the
rewind may be broken anyway, making it so you have to do it.
chg-scsi for instance only rewinds by accident, when it tells the
changer to eject that tape and insert the next one.

But it really does sound as if you have a duff drive there, Peter.

So a call to the vendor is probably the next order of business.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)