On Tuesday 08 February 2005 10:00, Don Carlton wrote:
>It looks like it might be a firewall issue on the server? Does
> anyone know what the minimum "server rules" and "client rules"
> would be in iptables/ipchains?

Thats all in the FAQ and docs Don.  And its pretty straight forward,
if iptables is involved, there is even a special kernel/iptables
module for 2.6 kernels that has all the amanda rules builtin.  Google
for that, or if you built your own kernel, a quick 'make xconfig'
should show it under the netfilter branch of the tree.  Ditto IIRC
for users of SELinux.

However, I have no experience with useing these as all my machines
being backed up are behind the actual firewall, including the
firewall box itself.  Two nics in that box, with the firewall being
between the outside connection and the box itself which uses the 2nd
nic for the local net on a different subnet for connection to the
rest of the systems here.  Paranoid about the firewall, I both back
it up with amanda, and rsync its more important dirs locally, which
also gets backed up by amanda.

This is one of the reasons I'm in favor of a 2 nic firewall, it can
very effectively isolate you, while being absolutely transparent as
far as the use of the internet from any box inside the firewall is
concerned.  I've had two penetration attempts that failed at the
firewall logged in the last 22 months, way too much NAT for the
script kiddies to negotiate.  FWIW, both attacks came from a
compromised verizon dns server that was one of the two the routers
internal PPPoE hands me, the server running IIS of course, I nmapped
it just to see what it was running after both attacks.  Verizon runs
100% darkside software, and does not officially support linux.  They
are getting to the point where they'll 'tolerate' it though.   The
lawyers rule is supreme there, too bad we don't have an annual
official Bill Shakespear holiday...

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene