Brian Cuttler wrote:
Stefan, et al,

We have decided that the standalone tape drive has failed, it
will not read nor write known good tapes.

We are thinking of allocating a large NFS partition (I know, bad
mojo and performace but apparently/supposedly its going to be temporary)
and just letting the files live in the "amanda work area".

The question then becomes one of file restores.

How do you restore data from holding area chunks ?
Do I just cat them together (is there an easy way to get
them in order ?), if there a good method of reading them ?
Or can I create readable files that aren't chunked ?

Amanda will restore files from dle's that are still on the holding disk just as easily as from tapes, only faster. Same procedure. Amanda knows where they are and that they haven't been flushed to tape yet. I've done it before just to see.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center