On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 05:22:44PM -0700, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: Gene Heskett Sent: May 31, 2009 11:25
> > On Sunday 31 May 2009, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> > >From: Jon LaBadie Sent: May 27, 2009 22:34

> > >What should tapecycle be set to?
> > >
> > The number of tapes available for amanda to use.
>
> I guess that is where my confusion lies.
>
> I have 5 tapes in slots 1-5 that I am attempting to use as set of
> "weekday" level 0 backups (i.e. a full backup each and every weekday
> night).
>
> When I created the DailySet1 I used the command:
>
>   amserverconfig DailySet1 --template tape-changer \
>   ?-tapedev /dev/nst0 --changerdev /dev/sg1 --mailto pgi...@forsoft.com \
>   --dumpcycle 0 --runspercycle 1 --tapecycle 2 --runtapes 1
>
> However amanda.conf now has:
>
>   dumpcycle 1 week
>   runspercycle 1
>   tapecycle 2
>   runtapes 1
>
> and changer.conf has:
>
>   firstslot=1
>   lastslot=5
>   driveslot=0
>   havereader=1
>
> Should I change dumpcycle back to 0 and tapecycle to 1 or what?

Dumpcycle is how frequently you want full backups.  You want
a dumpcycle 0 (no units) to force full backups every run.

As your dumpcycle is so short, your runspercycle is only 1.

You also want a runtapes of 1 if you don't want want amanda
to go to a second tape during the same run. *

As you have 5 labeled tapes in rotation tapecycle 5 is reasonable. **
It will then have to use all five tapes before reusing the first.

You asked about tapes that had "empty incrementals".  If amanda
recognized the tape, loaded the tape, but did not write any backup
data to the tape, amanda still considers the tape "used".

*  Setting runtapes greater than the number expected to be used
is reasonable.  That way if one day you get a monster dump, amanda
can write it to the next tape.  And if there was a glitch writing
the first tape, amanda can go to a second tape.

** Your tapecycle can be lower than the number of tapes actually
in rotation.  If your tapecycle exactly matches tapes and some
glitch makes the next tape unusable, amanda can't write to any
tapes.  Some amanda admins (myself included) set tapecycle to
a value lower than the actual number of tapes in rotation.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  j...@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing