I have tested with a larger sample (40G) and the results were the same.

There is a single route between the hosts so all traffic traverses it.
There appears to be no resource issue on the backup client
iostat/vmstat reports low utilisation.

netstat reports not errors - but this would impact NFS as well.

Thanks,

Alan

> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:09:16 -0400
> From: martin...@zmanda.com
> To: ap_griffi...@hotmail.com
> CC: dus...@zmanda.com; amanda-users@amanda.org
> Subject: Re: TCP Tuning
>
> Alan,
>
> Most people report faster throughput without nfs, your result is weird.
>
> Your sample is small (1.5GB), is it possible it was cached by the nfs
> client?
> Do amanda and NFS use the same network route?
> Do the NFS server have enough memory and cpu to run the amanda client
> software?
> Check the network cards, do they report error?
>
> Jean-Louis
>
> Alan Griffiths wrote:
>> This time with files *actually* attached!

>>> From: ap_griffi...@hotmail.com
>>> To: martin...@zmanda.com
>>> CC: dus...@zmanda.com; amanda-users@amanda.org
>>> Subject: RE: TCP Tuning
>>> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:14:33 +0100
>>>

>>> Just one dle.
>>> No compression - data is already compressed (gzip).
>>> No encryption.
>>> I am using holding disk.
>>>
>>> Attached files: -
>>>
>>> amdump.1 direct from client
>>> amdump.3 through NFS.

Access your other email accounts and manage all your email from one place.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/167688463/direct/01/