Deb Baddorf wrote:
I have a 6 yr old amanda config which has been very nicely using up to
10 parallel dumpers.   I've got 32 client nodes,  so I have  MAXDUMPS
set to 2. The parallelism I desire is across different clients, not so much
on the same client.

Taking the same configuration (editted) to a new machine and new tape changer
robot,   I've still got INPARALLEL  set to 10 ...   but no parallelism is
occurring  (in test runs of only 7 client nodes).   What am I missing --
why is my new setup not using multiple dumpers?   Seven clients ought
to be enough to cause parallelism.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab

Oh -- the new server is Linux rather than FreeBSD,  so that's  another
difference.   But:
ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 32767
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 32767

-----------------
my configs:
------------------
#
# configMAIN.include - Amanda configuration global definitions
#
#
dumpuser "operator"
inparallel 10
dumporder "BTBTBTBTBT"
taperalgo largestfit

flush-threshold-dumped 70
flush-threshold-scheduled 100
taperflush 0
netusage  1800 Kbps
bumpsize 20000 Mb
bumpdays 1
bumppercent 20
bumpmult 4

maxdumpsize -1
amrecover_do_fsf yes
amrecover_check_label yes
amrecover_changer "changer"

etimeout 2000
dtimeout 1800
ctimeout 30

tapebufs 20
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"  # the tape-changer glue script

reserve 02 # percent
autoflush yes
#====================================================#

define tapetype SDLT320 {
     comment "HP Super DLTtape I, data cartridge, C7980A, compression on"
     length 139776 mbytes
     filemark 0 kbytes
     speed 13980 kps
}

#old 30-tape stacker.   Keep in case needed to read older tapes.
define tapetype DLT4000-IV {
comment "Quantum DLT4000 or DLT7000 writing DLT4000 format, with DLTtape IV uncompr
essed"
    length 40000 mbytes
    filemark 8 kbytes
    speed 1500 kps
    lbl-templ "/usr/local/etc/amanda/3hole.ps"
}

#==============================================================#
define dumptype BDglobal {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes
    priority medium
    compress client fast
}
define dumptype BDnormal {
    BDglobal
    record yes
}

----------------------
-----------------------
#  DAILY configuration
#=============================#

includefile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/configMAIN.include"

#=============================#

dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 5
runtapes 5
tapecycle 100 tapes

# 42-stacker unit:   # 11/01/09
changerdev "/dev/changer"
tapedev "tape:/dev/nst2"    # the no-rewind tape device to be used
#   nst2  = changer 0       top unit,  where 2/3 of daily tapes are

changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/chg-daily-42"   #my config data

tapetype SDLT320        # what kind of tape
                #  (see tapetypes in  ../configMAIN.include)

#====================================================#
holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/spool/amanda/daily"   # where the holding disk is
    use -100 Mb         # how much space can we use on it
                        # a non-positive value means:
                        #        use all space but that value
# 20Gb was causing a perl glitch: - values in flush
    chunksize 2000Mb    # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
                        #             The maximum value should be
                        #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
                        #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
    }
holdingdisk hd2 {
    directory "/spool2/amanda/daily"
    use -100 Mb
    chunksize 2000Mb    # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
                        #             The maximum value should be
                        #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
                        #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
    }

#====================================================#
define dumptype dailyNormal {
    BDnormal
}

define dumptype dailyNormalFast {
    BDnormal
    maxdumps 3
}

The report and debug files on the server may provide more clues,
but for starters I would verify that you actually have adequate
holdingdisk space (check quotas as well as just a df). Too little
space will cause the dumps to be serially written to tape.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsm...@hoovers.com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673