Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
What is your tapecycle?
How many vtapes do you have?
What is the output of amcheck?

Jean-Louis

Mike R wrote:
Good day all. I'm a fairly new amanda user, I used the 15 minute backup guide for my setup. During the first week my backups seemed to have gone off without a hitch as indicated by the backup reports. Now beginning on Monday I've been getting failed backup reports, as follows:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
epsilon.bleh.com /var/www lev 1 STRANGE

STATISTICS:
Total Full Incr.
-------- -------- --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min) 0:00
Run Time (hrs:min) 0:02
Dump Time (hrs:min) 0:01 0:00 0:01
Output Size (meg) 79.9 0.0 79.9
Original Size (meg) 919.2 0.0 919.2
Avg Compressed Size (%) 8.7 -- 8.7 (level:#disks ...)
Filesystems Dumped 3 0 3 (1:3)
Avg Dump Rate (k/s) 1110.8 -- 1110.8

Tape Time (hrs:min) 0:00 0:00 0:00
Tape Size (meg) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Tape Used (%) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Filesystems Taped 0 0 0

Chunks Taped 0 0 0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s) -- -- --

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- epsilon.bleh.com /var/www lev 1 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [epsilon.bleh.com:/var/www level 1]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
? gtar: ./cacti/log/cacti.log: file changed as we read it
| Total bytes written: 946503680 (903MiB, 14MiB/s)
sendbackup: size 924320
sendbackup: end
\--------

DUMP SUMMARY:
DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-MB OUT-MB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
-------------------------- ------------------------------------- -------------
epsilon.bleh /etc/nagios 1 0 0 10.0 0:01 1.3 N/A N/A
epsilon.bleh /var/www 1 903 75 8.3 1:08 1132.5 N/A N/A
gamma.bleh.com /websites 1 17 5 28.1 0:05 979.1 N/A N/A

(brought to you by Amanda version 2.5.0p2)

I'm starting to think that I might have ran too many testing backups after the implementation and might have thrown the vtape usage off course if it's technically possible. I ran amflush daily as amanda and there were no results from it, the report I got said the same thing. I'm also concerned with the strange dump failure for cacti, due to its nature and the fact that it is configured to spread the load out evenly it is probably constantly writing data to the rra files, so I need to make sure I'm getting reliable dumps. Any additional insight in my paltry problems would help as I will be spending the day researching it on my end. Thanks!

Thank you for your response.

dumpcycle 4 weeks
runspercycle 20
tapecycle 25 tapes

there are 25 "slots" in my vtape directory (I believe a slot = a tape correct?)

[r...@sigma daily]# su - amanda
-bash-3.2$ /usr/sbin/amflush daily
Scanning /opt/dumps...
  20091117010001: found Amanda directory.
  20091118010001: found Amanda directory.

Multiple Amanda directories, please pick one by letter:
  A. 20091117010001
  B. 20091118010001
Select directories to flush [A..B]: [ALL]

Today is: 20091118
Flushing dumps in 20091117010001, 20091118010001 using tape changer "chg-disk".
Expecting a new tape.  (The last dumps were to tape daily-09)
Are you sure you want to do this [yN]? y
Running in background, you can log off now.
You'll get mail when amflush is finished.

RESULT

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush again to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

Also I have posted my config here: http://pastebin.ca/1676675

Also, when setting up the system I followed these directions:

http://www.zmanda.com/quick-backup-setup.html

Thank you for your help!