On Monday 22 March 2010, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Chris Hoogendyk
>
><hoogen...@bio.umass.edu> wrote:
>> I've also tried just reading the Amanda tapes directly. It works even if
>> it is a little tedious. In my case the sequence of commands involves
>> ufsrestore, but that too is documented on the tape itself in the first
>> record.
>
>I've been thinking about an "amrecatalog" utility for a while now.  It
>would be similar to amrestore, but would output a useable trace log
>file giving the location and header metadata for all files on the
>tape.  This would be helpful during a bare-metal recovery with highly
>split DLEs, since you could use amfetchdump to reassemble the files
>once amrecatalog had generated logs for the tape.
>
>This would be a Perl script much like amrestore.  It could also be
>implemented as an option to amrestore (maybe 'amrestore --recatalog'),
>which is already in Perl.  There's probably still a window to get this
>into 3.1 if anyone wants to give it a try!
>
>Dustin

This is one place where GenesAmandaHelper is quite redundant.  I not only
have a copy of both the configs AND the indices as of the end of the amanda
run on my vtapes, I use amanda style housekeeping in that scratchpad
directory I generate them in, in that directory tree also, so I wind up with
3 copies of all that, 100% uptodate.  One on the tape, one in the
GenesAmandaHelper subdir, and the ones amanda actually looks for.

[r...@coyote f12]# ls /GenesAmandaHelper-0.6/config-bak/
configuration.tar.Dailys-1   configuration.tar.Dailys-26  dd.report.Dailys-15
dd.report.Dailys-4     indices.tar.Dailys-20
configuration.tar.Dailys-10  configuration.tar.Dailys-27  dd.report.Dailys-16
dd.report.Dailys-5     indices.tar.Dailys-21
configuration.tar.Dailys-11  configuration.tar.Dailys-28  dd.report.Dailys-17
dd.report.Dailys-6     indices.tar.Dailys-22
configuration.tar.Dailys-12  configuration.tar.Dailys-29  dd.report.Dailys-18
dd.report.Dailys-7     indices.tar.Dailys-23
configuration.tar.Dailys-13  configuration.tar.Dailys-3   dd.report.Dailys-19
dd.report.Dailys-8     indices.tar.Dailys-24
configuration.tar.Dailys-14  configuration.tar.Dailys-30  dd.report.Dailys-2
dd.report.Dailys-9     indices.tar.Dailys-25
configuration.tar.Dailys-15  configuration.tar.Dailys-4   dd.report.Dailys-20
indices.tar.Dailys-1   indices.tar.Dailys-26
configuration.tar.Dailys-16  configuration.tar.Dailys-5   dd.report.Dailys-21
indices.tar.Dailys-10  indices.tar.Dailys-27
configuration.tar.Dailys-17  configuration.tar.Dailys-6   dd.report.Dailys-22
indices.tar.Dailys-11  indices.tar.Dailys-28
configuration.tar.Dailys-18  configuration.tar.Dailys-7   dd.report.Dailys-23
indices.tar.Dailys-12  indices.tar.Dailys-29
configuration.tar.Dailys-19  configuration.tar.Dailys-8   dd.report.Dailys-24
indices.tar.Dailys-13  indices.tar.Dailys-3
configuration.tar.Dailys-2   configuration.tar.Dailys-9   dd.report.Dailys-25
indices.tar.Dailys-14  indices.tar.Dailys-30
configuration.tar.Dailys-20  dd.report.Dailys-1           dd.report.Dailys-26
indices.tar.Dailys-15  indices.tar.Dailys-4
configuration.tar.Dailys-21  dd.report.Dailys-10          dd.report.Dailys-27
indices.tar.Dailys-16  indices.tar.Dailys-5
configuration.tar.Dailys-22  dd.report.Dailys-11          dd.report.Dailys-28
indices.tar.Dailys-17  indices.tar.Dailys-6
configuration.tar.Dailys-23  dd.report.Dailys-12          dd.report.Dailys-29
indices.tar.Dailys-18  indices.tar.Dailys-7
configuration.tar.Dailys-24  dd.report.Dailys-13          dd.report.Dailys-3
indices.tar.Dailys-19  indices.tar.Dailys-8
configuration.tar.Dailys-25  dd.report.Dailys-14          dd.report.Dailys-30
indices.tar.Dailys-2   indices.tar.Dailys-9

As the (v)tapes are reused the old files are deleted and new ones
constructed.

The file dd.report.Dailys-xx is used by my script to track the use counts of
the tapes. That is the first entry, then a list of the contents packed into
the other two files follows.  Handy to read as it tells you where to put
everything too.

So I have several ways of restoring in the event this cat runs out of lives.
;)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I consider the day misspent that I am not either charged with a crime,
or arrested for one.
                -- "Ratsy" Tourbillon