Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Chris Hoogendyk
<hoogen...@bio.umass.edu> wrote:
I don't get it. Why is Amanda refusing to use the new tapes (or tape 3)?

See the note in this manpage:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amanda-taperscan.7.html

Thanks, Dustin!

I never encountered that behavior before, because my other setups have a longer tapecycle than the library can hold. So, for example, I would have 35 tapes with a tapecycle of, say, 30. But, since the library could only hold 15 tapes, I would never have an eligible tape that had been written on when I also had a brand new labeled tape in, since I would add those at the end of the cycle.

In this case, I had 7 tapes and a tapecycle of 6. So, one unlabeled tape would not get written, because there was an eligible already written tape. Then, adding 4 new tapes and leaving the tapecycle at 6, none of those were being considered.

So, I just now edited my amanda.conf and changed the tapecycle to 11. That should mean that none of the already written tapes is eligible until it has used all of the new tapes.

I'll see for sure this weekend.

The algorithm just seems a bit weird. I never thought that fast-searchable would jump over the new tapes, especially since they are marked reuse. I always assumed it would check the tapes in order until it found one that was suitable.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator