jasonswett wrote:
I read through a good portion of W.Curtis Preston's book but I'm afraid I'm too
much of a beginner to know where to start with my solution. I think I want to
use Amanda but everything I've read on the Amanda site is too narrow and
specific.

Here's what I have:

I have two Linux boxes. One is a development server and one is a production
server. Each is running a database instance that I want to back up.

I also have two Macs and one PC that are just workstations.

I've looked into Amanda a little bit but just came out confused. I don't have
any storage media but I'm willing to buy some.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

It's good that you have the book. There is lots of interesting and useful information there. The chapter on Amanda is a neat summary; but, fortunately or unfortunately, things change very fast in the world of open source software when you have an active and productive development team.

The best place to get up to speed and to look up terminology and concepts is the Zmanda wiki: http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Main_Page. There is a quick start guide there. If you have your idea of how to proceed, you can follow the quick start guide and just jump out to other pages in the wiki to fill in detail. The diagram on the main Zmanda Amanda page: http://amanda.zmanda.com/ gives you a quick conceptual overview, indicating that you can backup to disk, to tape, or to the cloud. You should also make sure you understand this page: http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ:How_are_backup_levels_defined_and_how_does_Amanda_use_them%3F before you get started. Amanda does an excellent job of planning backups. Too many people, on first looking to Amanda, try to squeeze it into backup strategies based on other backup software.

As you are mentioning databases, please tell us what those are. Typically, databases can require special treatment.

Welcome to Amanda. And do come back to the list with any questions you might have.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator