Gunnarsson, Gunnar wrote:
Does DUMP dumptype have any properties that can be redefined  ?
I need to follwing task:
stop the application,
dettach the mirror,
ufsdump
attach the mirror
This can be done with gtar but can this be done with native backup tools as well ? I

Haven't seen an answer to this yet, so I'll hazard a comment and question.

One approach is to do a wrapper, as in http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#Chris_Hoogendyk.27s_Example, where I'm doing an fssnap before the ufsdump and following it with deleting the snapshot. You could modify it to fit your needs. That wrapper also has a stop application for xntpd (which is a real time application) when doing an fssnap of the root partition because of a bug in fssnap.

The advantage of the snapshot is that you only have to stop your application for the extremely brief time it takes to do the snapshot. Then you start your application and proceed with the ufsdump of the snapshot. In your sequence above, I don't know what your application is or whether it would have to be down during the entire ufsdump or stopped and started for each dettach/attach.

The newer releases of Amanda probably have some cleaner ways (than wrapper) of dealing with all that, but I haven't jumped into it quite yet. Maybe someone else can offer comments.

What version are you using?

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-