I am trying to get amanda-3.1.1 up and running on a Sun Solaris 10 x86 host.

The problem is that amanda is not using the holdingdisk configured in
amanda.conf.

To check this I set the global dumptype "holdingdisk required" and then ran an
amdump.

This is the email output:

        Hostname: hertz.math.purdue.edu
        Org     : DAILY BACKUP - MATHNET
        Config  : daily
        Date    : July 1, 2010

          The next 4 tapes Amanda expects to use are: 4 new tapes.
          The next 4 new tapes already labelled are: D01003, D01004, D01005,
D01006 FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
           hertz /gauss/export/users-q RESULTS MISSING
           hertz /gauss/export/users-q lev 0  FAILED [can't dump required
holdingdisk]

I ran the same backup dumptype "holdingdisk yes" and it ran to completion but
it did not write to the holding disk but sent directly to tape.

Can you see any reason why the holding disk is not being used?

And amstatus shows

        6 dumpers idle  : no-diskspace
        taper status: Idle
        taper qlen: 0
        network free kps:   1000000
        holding space   :         0m (  0.00%)
         0 dumpers busy :  0:00:37  ( 97.08%)            not-idle:  0:00:37
(100.00%)

This is a snippets from my amanda.conf file

        define holdingdisk hd1 {
                comment "holding disk"
                directory "/zvol/amanda/holdingdisk/daily"
                use 700GB
                chunksize 10GB
      }

        flush-threshold-dumped        185
        flush-threshold-scheduled     180
        taperflush                    100
        #taperflush                    0
        autoflush                     yes

        # You may want to use this for globally enabling or disabling
        # indexing, recording, etc.  Some examples:
            comment "Global Definitions"
           compress none
           index yes
           record yes
           holdingdisk required
           estimate calcsize
           maxdumps 2
           auth "bsdtcp"
        }

When I was running amanda 2.6.1p2 this was not a problem. This stated happening
when I moved to 3.1.1.

Any ideas why Amanda 3.1.1 will not use the holdingdisk?

Thanks

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                    EMAIL: rmcg...@purdue.edu
Purdue University                            ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                   PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067