On Friday, July 02, 2010 11:11 AM, Dustin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Syed Zaeem Hosain wrote:
> > Finally, is this problem big enough to matter (I guess I will find out with
> > *this* e-mail message ... :)), albeit some of you all do seem to think so!

> I get about one a day, so in general, it's not a big deal - but I'm in the
> once-a-week rotation for everyone's autoresponders, since I post all the time.
> I imagine that a  first-time poster will get a lot more emails, and I'll be
> interested to see what your experiment reveals.

Okay, a report. I think my experiment was (a) prior to the changes made by Todd
and (b) included the July 4th vacation weekend here in the US and Canada day
too.

I only received three auto-responses to my little experiment. And, one person
apparently does not have a "once a week filter" set, so I got an auto-response
from them a second time. But there was only one auto-response to that second
post ...

Frankly, I get *way* more spam in an hour coming *past* my spam filters
(external system and e-mail client) than that.

Given that you mentioned that this mailing list has a few thousand people on it
(is that correct?), it seems to me that we may be making a mountain out of a
molehill here.

In my opinion only, of course.:)

> I've had a few people mention to me offline that they never post to this
> list because they get too many autoresponses, which means it's adversely
> impacting the community.  To me, *that* is a pretty big deal.  I'm not
> interested in kicking people off the list (that would be counterproductive),
> but I think that a fair bit of social pressure is worthwhile.

Ummmmm ... if we all really believe that three auto-responses, in a busy
vacation weekend, from a few thousand people, constitutes a big enough problem
that would/should cause stop somebody from posting to the list, then I think we
are over-reacting a bit.

Again, in my opinion only.