Hi Ranjan,

My reponses are inline.

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:26:03AM +0530, Ranjan Das wrote:
> Hi Valeriu,
>
> Thank you very much for the guidance. This was very much informative.
> I have another doubt, as this configuration is for weekly backup and if i
> start using this config daily what will happen?? Or in the other way, if we
> schedule daily backups and we dont do it daily and does it at a random
> fashion what will happen, will there be any problem with the integrity of
> data. What are the consequences that will arise if we miss out the correct
> timing.?

You should sitdown first and decide what your backup strategy will be. Based on
that, decide what the 'dumpcycle' will be. A day, a week, 2 weeks? Then you
should decide how many runs will you do per 'dumpcycle'. Why wouldn't you be
able to do it daily? How many times per week could you do with certainty? These
are questions you have to answer yourself.

If you plan on doing backups daily, you'd have to set 'runspercycle' to 7 (7
runs total; 1 run per day each week, assuming your backup finishes within one
day; AFAIK, you just need a good estimate here).

If you configure it with:
dumpcycle 1 week
runspercycle 7
and don't do one backup per day (i.e. actual # of 'amdump's is less than
'runspercycle') then Amanda will just do as many incrementals as it can do. It
will start with a full dump once the new dumpcycle starts.

> What i mean to ask is for a weekly backup in which the dump shoud be a full
> dump why cant we use the configuration something like this.
> dumpcycle 1day
> runspercycle 1
> tapecycle 3
> runtapes 1
> ??

This should work, assuming you do it only one day a week (i.e. Saturday).

> Please guide me.
>
> Thank you once again for the help and i would like to know the materials you
> referred other than the amanda wiki.

I also recommend the book "Backup & Recovery" by W. Curtis Preston.

--
Valeriu Mutu