On 8/27/2010 13:40, Jon LaBadie wrote:
I have eliminated all dual-boots from my lan.  Now
the only Windows are running as virtual guests
using Virtual Box.  Each guest acts as its own
network entity, i.e. unique IP, addressable by
name from other hosts.

Two ways of backing these guest OSs are available,
directly as an amanda client, or by backing up
the linux disk file that holds the guest's FS.

I can see pros and cons to either approach.

Direct client requires the guest be running
when amanda wants it but allows for incrementals
and recovery of individual files.

Host as client means the backup is a single lg
file, no incrementals so always a full backup,
no recovery of individual files, changes during
backup if guest is booted (hence my query on
snapshots in a separate post), but as it is
part of the primary host, the guest need not
be booted.

How are others doing this task?  Currently I
have started out doing both.

Jon
if you can take the windows hosts down for even a brief period (< 5 minutes total if they boot fast) you can shut them down, take a new zfs snapshot, then bring them back up, resulting in a clean image for incremental backups. amanda supports backups using zfs send, so there should be no issue using this method.