On 9/9/10 11:55 AM, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
I bet most of you have some small nitpick with Amanda that you've
never felt warranted an email.  Well, now's your chance!  I'd like to
put some polish on Amanda, and it's hard for me to see the areas that
need burnishing, since I work on Amanda all day, every day.

  - typo in a manpage?
  - command-line usage oddity?
  - confusing use of terminology?
  - something else?

Start up a new thread on the mailing list, or email me privately if
you'd prefer, to let me know what's bugging you.  Bonus points for
also supplying a patch, but that's not at all required!

Note that I do reserve the right to say, "actually, that's
complicated" (and explain why).

Dustin

One learns in a relationship not to nitpick. But, then, since we're talking about Amanda the beautiful open source software program and not a beautiful woman one is in a relationship with, I suppose it's alright.

So, . . .

I have configurations (and I know others do as well) in which I want certain days to go to holding disk only and later get flushed to tape along with the regular backups that go to tape. For example, run a regular backup at the end of every weekday, but run incrementals only on weekends and just keep them on the holding disk. That saves tapes and stretches how many weeks I have covered in the routine rotation.

To do that, I use the command line options to redefine the tape library and tape drive so that they don't go to my Sony AIT5 Library. The result is that the Amanda email report on those days starts out with

    *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found].

I know to expect those, although sometimes I'm caught off guard for one reason or another, and it may take a moment for my brain to kick in and say, "it's alright." However, when I'm on vacation, and someone else is watching over things, they are more likely to get confused and worried.

If there were a way to directly say, "fall back, don't tape," or "--disable-taper," then that would avoid the "expected" error message.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
  c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogen...@bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4