On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Valeriu Mutu <vm...@pcbi.upenn.edu> wrote:
> /dev/mapper/cronos-amanda-holdingdisk
>                886G  116G  726G  14% /data3
> /dev/mapper/cronos-amanda-diskbuffer
>                394G  199M  374G   1% /data4

350G seems a bit large for a disk buffer - what part size are you using?

> When the problem re-occurs, I change the MTU to a different value: if it's
> 9000bytes, I change it to 1500bytes, and vice-versa.
>
> Does anyone know why this happens? Why does Amanda become slow at reading
> from the holding disk residing on an iSCSI volume?

I don't know much about iSCSI, but as you know Amanda just accesses
the disk via the normal filesystem, so I suspect that you could see a
similar phenomenon with any application that is reading from or
writing to the partition.

Perhaps Amanda's not *writing* data very quickly at that point - maybe
your tape drive is shoe-shining?  Interrupting the connection by
resetting the MTU (and I don't see why this would interrupt the
connection..) would allow several layers of buffers to flush,
resulting in a surge of read activity when connectivity is restored,
until the buffers are again full.

It sounds like there are some unresolved network issues with iSCSI, if
the iptables is causing problems with multipathing.

I would recommend taking a hard look with tcpdump to see what's going
on.  You'll always learn something!  I've found some people who were
complaining vociferously that Amanda's throughput "sucked", when in
fact their network had a high packet loss rate because their server
was hooked into a hub with a massive number of collisions.  Hopefully
your situation isn't quite that dire..

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer