I have a client that has a (to me anyway) 'strange' scenario:

"Think about this scenario.
Day 1: Directory x has files, a, b & c.  Amanda does a full backup
Day 2: rm file a.  Amanda does a differential backup
Day 3: rm file b.  Amanda does a differential backup,
Day 4:  Directory x has only file c.  We remove Directory x.  And
restore Directory x.  .  From what you are saying, the restored
Directory would have files a, b & c.  I would expect to restore
Directory x with only file c -- the state of the directory upon the
last amanda backup."

Question: what will be in Directory x after doing an amrecover of
Directory x?  Will files a and b be restored or not?  And why or why
not?  What is considered the correct answer to this partitular thought
exercise? And why?

As a long time computer user *my* expectation would be for Directory x
to have all three files, a, b & c in it after the recover.  Is my
expectation wrong? Why?

Note: this is *separate* from a full restore in the event of a disk
crash.

Side question: would the above answers *change* if the backups were done
with gnutar instead of dump?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / hel...@deepsoft.com