man amgtar

I don't have the man page on my machines but I found this:
<http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amgtar.8.html>

It does explain exclude patterns and provides a number of examples, but what I am actually looking for are instructions for specific applications. For example (WARNING: just an example. Do not use without review):

LINUX

Patterns:
./proc
./media
./mnt
./dev

SQUID CACHING PROXY

Patterns:
./var/spool/squid

POSTGRESQL

Add the data directories. Example patterns:
./var/lib/postgresql/7.4/main

Then backup using one of the following strategies:

VMWARE

Patterns:
*.vmem
*.vmem.lck
*.vmdk
*.vmdk.lck

Install the Amanda client on each virtual machine. Then change the following settings on the Amanda server to prevent the virtual machines backing up add the same time, slowing down disk reads:

Kind regards,

Johan Stuyts