Do all tapes are listed in the tapelist file?
Do all log.<dataestamp> are in logdir?
What's the output of: amadmin BACKUP find

Toomas Aas wrote:
Hello!

I just finished a major system upgrade on a small one-machine setup (client=server). This involved upgrading the OS from FreeBSD 6.4 to 8.1 and also upgrading or at least rebuilding all the installed applications. Amanda was upgraded from 2.5.1 to 3.2.0, and GNU tar from 1.15.1 to 1.23.

The directories that are used as indexdir and logdir were preserved. Amanda configuration file was brought over from the old setup and following changes were made:

removed deprecated keywords: tapebufs, amrecover_do_fsf, amrecover_check_label

repaced the "old" chg-disk changer with "new" chg-disk changer, defined so:
tapedev "ext-disk"
define changer ext-disk {
        tpchanger "chg-disk:/backup"
}

The user who amanda runs as is the same as before (backup). Hostname is also same, and the name resolution in DNS is correct.

Amcheck passes with no problems.

However, I can't restore anything using amrecover:

amrecover BACKUP
AMRECOVER Version 3.2.0. Contacting server on mail.mydomain.ee ...
220 mail AMANDA index server (3.2.0) ready.
Setting restore date to today (2010-12-13)
200 Working date set to 2010-12-13.
200 Config set to BACKUP.
200 Dump host set to mail.mydomain.ee.
Use the setdisk command to choose dump disk to recover
amrecover> setdisk /usr
200 Disk set to /usr.
500 No dumps available on or before date "2010-12-13"
No index records for disk for specified date
If date correct, notify system administrator

The result is same for any disk, not just /usr

In my amanda.conf I have:
infofile "/var/amanda/BACKUP/curinfo"   # database DIRECTORY
logdir   "/var/amanda/BACKUP"           # log directory
indexdir "/var/amanda/BACKUP/index"     # index directory

All the files seem to be there in /var/amanda and are owned by the backup user, but for reasons I don't understand Amanda isn't using them. I've looked at amrecover.debug and amindexd.debug files, but nothing stands up.

This is not a critical problem, because I can recover manually using tar and gzip, and I'll overwrite all the vtapes in couple of weeks anyway (hoping that I *can* recover the backups I'll be making from now on). But I still think that it should work and would like to understand why it doesn't.