amanda looks for the .amandahosts file in the home directory of the bin user? What is the home directory of the bin user? Is it / or /home/bin, the default is /. So you must create the /.amandahosts file like amanda told you to do, have you tried it?

It is bad to use a user that have privilege, you should not use 'bin'.

Jean-Louis

Joe Konecny wrote:
I am running amanda server 3.1.0 on ubuntu server 10.10 trying to back up a client running Freebsd 5.2.1 and amanda client 2.5.1p3. These machines are right next to each other and
not connected to the internet.  Therefore auth=bsd is ok for now.

I am receiving this error when runing "sudo -u backup amcheck Daily"

ERROR: NAK r4p17: user backup from rmt170 is not allowed to execute the service noop: Please add "amdump" to the line in //.amandahosts

The "//.amandahosts" seems strange to me.

The freebsd amanda client is set to run as bin.
The ubuntu amanda server is set to run as backup.

(client r4p17)
cat /home/bin/.amandahosts:
rmt170 backup amdump

cat /etc/hosts
10.0.0.8 r4p17
10.0.0.52 rmt170

cat /etc/inetd.conf
amanda dgram udp wait bin /usr/local/libexec/amandad amandad -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped

(server rmt170)
cat /etc/hosts
10.0.0.8 r4p17
10.0.0.52 rmt170