Kai,

Amanda never required splitting DLEs into 20 Gig pieces, my
'guess' as to why your site did so is that you either had
very limited amanda work area or a very limited backup/tape device.

Amanda for did have a restriction that a DLE could not span
an output tape, but that has been lifted (years ago) and DLEs
can now span output volumes so that you can put a, er 100Gig
DLE onto multiple DLT volumes that are smaller than 100 Gig.

I'd still be reluctant to dump DLE that where very large as
that would require very large work area and could complicate
restores, but it is (at least in theory, I've never heard of
a DLE that large) doable. Of course I'm being facecous.

I'm quite sure there is a happy medium for DLE size, assuming
that your tape and work area technology have improved since
you installed amanda 2.5.2pX