On Friday, April 15, 2011 10:17:50 AM Tim Johnson did opine:

>    Just a follow up on this issue, which isnt makeing
> sense to me at all.
>      I shut down the amanda client via xinetd, and ran
> the backups and the backups worked perfectly. It went over
> the client with the report mentioning that the client
> was not responsive.
>     However, I had someone (by accident?) turn off the power
> to one of the amanda clients. This caused the backup on the
> server to continue to wait for the estimate of the client
> for hours (over 10 hours).
>      I have tried using calcsize, client, and no entry for
> the estimate (I dont know what the default is, calcsize (?) ).
>

>     No error messages in the logs, just the hanging server waiting
> for the estimate of the non responsive client.
>     I will be trying different options to see what occurs.
>
> Thanks for any input.

That is controlled by the 'etimeout' value in your amanda.conf, and its
stated in seconds.  IIRC I'm set at 800 seconds but that is overkill by at
least a factor of 2.  That is about 13 minutes in round figures. Depending
on one drive speeds and iron in the cpu, 300 (5 minutes) is probably
adequate for most smaller uses.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene