As you surmised, these are mostly gtar questions.
If your DLE is not a filesystem, then the other dump-ish choices are out.

But gtar (and star as well as the various flavors of dump) does _try_
to save space when it encounters hard links.

For instance (gtar 1.26),
mkdir xx
dd if=/dev/zero of=xx/z count=1000
gtar cf a.tar xx
ln xx/z xx/l
gtar cf b.tar xx

a.tar & b.tar should be the same or similar size.

However, for an incremental dump on a DLE which has a new hard link, I
don't think gtar will get you the savings you want (if I'm reading
your reasoning correctly).  It's only when the original is in the same
tar image that you get the savings (i.e., not when the original is in
a different tarball).

mkdir xx
dd if=/dev/zero of=xx/z count=1000
/bin/rm l0
gtar cf 0.tar --listed-incremental=l0 xx
ln xx/z xx/l
cp -p l0 l1
gtar cf 1.tar --listed-incremental=l1 xx
touch xx/foo
cp -p l1 l2
gtar cf 2.tar --listed-incremental=l2 xx

In theory, tar's incremental mode might be able to realize that 'l'
points to 'z' and 'z' hasn't changed, so just archive the hard link
"meta-data" (i.e., not the contents).  But I don't think gtar rolls
like that - I'm not sure where/if the aforementioned theory may have
holes, but it seems it's not implemented that way at this time.

tar tvf 1.tar
drwxr-xr-x jhein/jhein       7 2011-06-02 14:41 xx/
-rw-r--r-- jhein/jhein  512000 2011-06-02 14:41 xx/l
hrw-r--r-- jhein/jhein       0 2011-06-02 14:41 xx/z link to xx/l

In this simple test 1.tar is just as big as 0.tar.  2.tar is
smaller, of course.

And if you just touch xx/l (or xx/z), then a 3.tar will be "big" again.

Testing for dumps (ufs, zfs) is left as an exercise for the reader ;).
If you find out, let us know.  Doing a quick test with star seems to
show it behaves the same as gtar.