On Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:55:03 AM Trever L. Adams did opine:

> On 7/23/2011 8:05 AM, Leo Subscriptions wrote:
> > I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) and experience the occasional
> > 'system freeze'. By freeze I mean a complete freeze of the system (ie.
> > no system log entries, but system [ie. disks] is still running).
> >
> > I have reported this is an Ubuntu bug a while ago, but have noticed
> > that the three times this has happened an amanda backup was running. I
> > even moved the time of the backup to prove the point
> >
> > I'm running a RAID1, with one of my folders encrypted. Both the
> > holding disk and final backup disk are single disks.
> >
> > My question is if anybody could think that amanada could be the
> > contributing factor for the failure and if so how.
>
> By chance are you using r8169? If so, that may be it. It was causing all
> sorts of hard locks and soft locks.
>
> Trever

If that's not it, I would check with the drive makers site and see if there
is a firmware update available, checking all the drives.

Generally its a matter of downloading a small cd image for each drive, and
rebooting to it once put on a cd.  But be aware that some such cd's are
only capable of updating one drive per reboot.  About a year back, I had 2
such drives that needed updated, the first one it updated was fine, but it
scrambled the UUID's and partition names of the second drive pretty badly.

The data was all still there, but the data that was in /var was now in /opt
etc etc.  Nothing precious even if it was my boot drive, as I had good
amanda backups, so I did a bare necessity's install of a new distro (PCLOS)
I wanted to try on that disk, pulled enough amanda from another drive &
recovered my data.

That is what amanda is all about.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
There is only one way to console a widow.  But remember the risk.
                -- Robert Heinlein