Jean-Louis Martineau schreef op 31-07-13 23:02:
On 07/31/2013 04:00 PM, Mike Neimoyer wrote:
However, as the amandabackup user, when I cd /home and then ls -lah I get a permission denied. This could be the reason the glob directive is failing, since it cannot scan the contents of that directory to put together an accurate include list for tar.

Unfortunately, each /home/username is owned by username:username as the UID:GID. It now looks like I need to figure out a way to get the amandabackup user access via a groupID.

Try the amgtar application, it should do the glob expansion as root.

With Amanda, plugins are rather new for me but AFIK root-permission is only needed for reading DLE's and is done by means of calling setuid-root executables. There are two of them involved in all Amanda-work: calcsize and dumper, both called by the daemon amandad which is called by xinetd.

So in this case, root-permission should not be the problem. Unless of course callcsize and dumper to NOT have a s (from setuid) in front of them or are not owned by root.

$ cd /usr/lib/amanda
$ ls -l
-rwsr-x--- 1 root   amanda 19056 28 jan  2013 calcsize
-rwsr-x--- 1 root   amanda 52592 28 jan  2013 dumper
$

All other executables including scripts inherit root permission form these two.

Surely, amgtar adds some nice features on top of GNUTAR.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
AT COMPUTING

Gerrit A. Smit
Beheer Technische Infrastructuur

--
AT Computing          Telefoon: +31 24 352 72 22
Linux/UNIXperts,      Telefoon cursussecretariaat: +31 24 352 72 72

Nieuw bij AT Computing: onze Linux Reference Card nu ook als gratis app!