Michael,

You may have noticed my answer to question 2a was not complete. I
answered for a not parted DLE. On a second thought, as each part is
exactly the size you configure (exact to the byte), I assume that each
file cannot be an independent tar, so the DLE must be tar'ed into a
big file first, that is then cut into chunks.

I never had to manually restore a parted DLE (I would manually restore
/ and maybe /usr, that would give me a running Amanda and then use
Amanda to restore the data; my / or /usr are smaller that the size of
parts); manually restoring a DLE is easy, even with a live-cd, you
really only need dd and tar (or dump/restore). It takes some
precautions, but is pretty doable.

Best regards,

Olivier