I am trying to replace a physical tape changer with a virtual tape changer on NFS mounted hard disk. I started with the virtual tape configuration on the amanda wiki at http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Set_Up_Virtual_Tapes.

The example tapetype definition on the wiki has a tape size of just 3Gb. But the real tapes I'm using have a capacity of 100Gb uncompressed and 500Gb compressed. That is such a huge disparity that I am uncertain as to how to proceed.

I have a quota of 2Tb on the remote file system. My data is about 1.2Tb total. I want to keep about 2 weeks of incremental data and and I get about 20Gb of changes daily. So I think the 2Tb quota is about right but I am uncertain as to how to define the tapes.

I googled for questions about amanda virtual tape size and I saw a message from someone who set it at over 100Gb. Someone else responded that it was kind of large but it should work. So I tried setting mine at 80. and configured 25 virtual tapes. That's 20Tb of space. But inspite of going 10x over my quota, I've run out of tapes.

I'm guessing that 80Gb is too small. But it seems odd that the example on the wiki would define a tape size of 3Gb. 300Gb seems more realistic unless I am missing something.

--
---
John G. Heim, 608-263-4189, jh...@math.wisc.edu