On Oct 14, 2013, at 5:39 PM, "John G. Heim" <jh...@math.wisc.edu>
 wrote:

> If I understand the concept of bumpting, then because I'm using virtual
> tapes, I think I want total bumping to be done -- if there is such a thing.
> I don't care at all how many "tapes" my backup is scattered over.
>
> I inherited my amanda setup from my predecessor in this job and I have never
> messed with the bump settings. But we are moving from physical tapes to
> virtual tapes. Here are the current values:
>
> bumpsize 500 mb               # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1
> -> 2
> bumpdays 1            # minimum days at each level
> bumpmult 4            # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)
>

> I'm a little unclear on how backup levels and tape cycle interact. It would
> be fine with me if there was always just one copy of each file on the virtual
> tapes.
>
> --
> ---
> John G. Heim, 608-263-4189, jh...@math.wisc.edu

I think you are saying don't DON'T want bumping.  Bumping is going down to a
level-2 backup from a level-1, so as to reduce the amount of data being saved.

I think you are saying you only want level 0 backups done.   I do this for my
"archival" tapes, which should not contain level-1 backups and thus be reliant
on
some other tape.   I use these settings:

dumpcycle 0    # the number of days in the normal ARCHIVE cycle
tapecycle  9000 tapes   # some infinite number; always fresh tape for archives

inside my dumptype's  I include:
define dumptype dailyNormal {
   BDnormal   #read in the other file
   strategy noinc     #nothing but full backups;  don't even calculate other
sizes
   skip-incr yes
}

Am I hearing you correctly?