On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 09:44:07 -0800
"Andrius D. Ilgunas" <andr...@ilgunas.net> wrote:

> We're setting up amanda on our servers, and the primary backup is
> going to be on a dedicated disk/virtual tapes.  One of the offsite
> locations is going to be a bucket on Amazon's S3.
>
> Now I see that amanda has the capability of writing to multiple
> volumes in parallel, but I'm wondering if it would be more efficient
> to have amada write the backup to the localdisk first and then use
> rsync to mirror that backup onto the S3 bucket.
>
> Or would it be a better idea to have amanda manage both
> "tapechangers"?
>
> Any discussion would be most welcome!

What I do is similar to your first proposal. I back up to virtual
tapes, then rsync to external hard drive for off site backup.

http://charlescurley.com/blog/articles/off_site_backups_for_amanda/index.html

You probably want to save the metadata so that restores from offsite
will be easier.

http://charlescurley.com/blog/articles/backing_up_amanda_metadata/index.html

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV