Thanks Jon. What I'm unsure about is this part from the amanda.conf page,
about autolabel param:

*"autolabel* *string* [*any*] [*other-config*] [*non-amanda*] [
*volume-error*] [*empty*]

Default: not set. When set, this directive will cause Amanda to
automatically write an Amanda tape label to most volume she encounters.
This option is DANGEROUS because when set, Amanda may erase near-failing
tapes or tapes accidentally loaded in the wrong slot."

What does "encounters" mean here? If amanda comes across a tape during an
operations other than 'amlabel', will a label be written if it matches any
of the cases defined by this param (presumably by amanda calling amlabel)?
Or does this only apply to when the operator manually runs 'amlabel'?

If I only define autolabel like so:

autolabel "%b-%c"

is it safe to assume Amanda will never label anything on her own?

-M