Amanda 3.3.4

Hi,

I made some changes to an amanda client. I created a new DLE that pointed
to a dir without world-read/exec permissions, and then amcheck gave this
error:

ERROR: cfile-local: service selfcheck: selfcheck: Failed to
chdir(/jag/cnds): Permission denied

I googled a bit and saw that amcheck runs as user amandabackup so it
couldn't read /jag/cnds. But amdump runs (or its client-side daemon runs)
as root so it can read this dir regardless.

So pushing fwd and running amdump, I got errors like this:

planner: ERROR cfile-local:  service sendsize: sendsize: Failed to
chdir(/jag/cnds): Permission denied

So on the client (cfile-local) I tried adding amandabackup to relevant
group to allow read/exec permission on /jag/cnds dir. But that wouldn't
work, I'm not sure why, possibly because the client is an NIS client. So I
removed the amandabackup user, created amandabackup user on the NIS server,
and changed the uid on the client for all amandabackup files to match the
new uid from the NIS server.

Now when I run amcheck/amdump I get errors that it can't create log files
on the client:

WARNING: cfile-local: selfcheck request failed: tcpm_recv_token: invalid
size: "amandad: critical (fatal): Cannot create debug file
\"/var/log/amanda/amandad/amandad.20140916160902.debug\": Permission
denied\namandad: Cannot create debug file
\"/var/log/amanda/amandad/amandad.2014091"
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.285 seconds.  1 problem found.

Logging on to the cfile-local client, I can read and create files in
/var/log/amanda/amandad/ without problems, as root or amandabackup.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've obviously done something to screw things
up, but can't figure out what. Thanks.

-M