Since you’ve gotten no answers yet  (I know very little):    might this be
related to whether the client   or the  server
is the one doing  the unpacking of the dump,   and in turn,   which one of
those also did the encrypting?

I do some encrypting on one small set of nodes,  but the server does the
encrypting.   I’m merely making sure the tapes
are encrypted so they can be stored remotely.     Any reason why you have the
client itself doing the encryption?
I suppose it is more private that way …..  specially if the data is going over
the network and might be seen there.

This is by way of starting a discussion,  and also  “bump”.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab