From: owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org [mailto:owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org] On
Behalf Of Alan Murrell
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 16:57
To: amanda-users@amanda.org
Subject: Advice requested: Offsite suggestions?

Hello,

I am currently evaluating Amanda (community edition). I have been intrigued by
it for a long time now, but am just now seriously looking at it.

Our current practice when we setup backups for clients (using a well-known
commercial backup software) is to do backups to external drives and each day
someone (employee of the client) is responsible for taking the "weekly" drive
home each week.

Amanda's scheduler will, by default, spread these full backups (which is what
intrigues me the most about it), but this also means that there will not be one
drive to take home each week, as they all will
(theoretically) have different full backups on them.

I am wondering what others do or suggest for and offsite strategy? So far, I
have come up with the following options:

  1.) Have a set enough drives to do four weeks' worth of backups, and that
weeks'-worth of backups get taken offsite each week

  2.) Create a seperate weekly backup job (and set of external drives) which
would run over the weekend and backs up to as many drives as needed

  3.) Subscribe to an offsite/online backup service and have that as the
offsite strategy

Thoughts and further advice greatly appreciated.  Thanks! :-)

-Alan