I am using the Amanda 2.5.0p2 client on a MacOSX (matching a Amanda 2.5.0p2
server on a CentOS 5.11 system) and have it set up to use GnuTAR for backup on
the Mac (a MacMini).  This works OK, but there are some weirdnesses:

The incremental backups (level > 0) are just about as large as the level 0
backups.  Why is this?  Is there something I could/should do special?

I built the Amanda 2.5.0p2 client from source on the Mac.  It has GnuTAR 1.17
installed:

frodo.deepsoft.com% gnutar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.17
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Modified to support extended attributes.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

The MacOSX version is (I think 10.6 or 10.7):
frodo.deepsoft.com% uname -a
Darwin frodo.deepsoft.com 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23
16:26:45 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

The disklist section looks like this:

# Frodo

frodo /                                         comp-user-span-tar 4
frodo /Applications                             comp-user-span-tar 4
frodo /Library                                  comp-user-span-tar 4
frodo /System                                   comp-user-span-tar 4
frodo /Users                                    comp-user-span-tar 4

(The mac has one actual file system, but I am breaking it up (using excludes)
to reduce the sizes of the backups -- I don't have enough holding disk space
for the whole thing at one go.)

The dump types look like this:

define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
#   exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    exclude list ".amanda.excludes"
    priority low
}

define dumptype comp-user-span-tar {
    root-tar
    tape_splitsize 1432 Mb
    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines, incrmentals only"
    compress client fast
    priority medium
}

And frodo:/.amanda.excludes contains:

frodo.deepsoft.com% cat /.amanda.excludes
./Applications
./Library
./System
./Users
./.dbfseventsd
./opt/local/var/macports/software/
./private/tmp/

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services