On Wednesday 07 October 2015 20:04:34 Joi L. Ellis wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > Which is sort of what I did Joi.
> >
> > amrecover bothers me because that is no apparent way to strip the
> > leading part of the path from what you want to recover, and from the
> > messages it presents, if you don't just give up and use a scratch
> > directory, then move what it recovers, I am sure not about to let it
> > destroy everything in my home dir just to recover the linuxcnc
> > subdir.  It may be capable of doing that, but the "are you sure"
> > messages just warn that the /home/gene directory will be nuked.
>
> What backup method is your DLE using?  Gnutar strips the leading / off
> automatically when you extract from a tarball, so it won't just
> overwrite your real stuff automatically.  The only way it will
> overwrite original anything is if you're sitting in / when you run
> amrecover.
>
> You don't have to recover a whole tree of stuff to test, just select
> one unimportant file, and see where it writes it.
>
> If you tell amrecover you only want the linuxcnc directory, that is
> all it will extract, it won't touch anything else.
>
> It doesn't delete the target directory and then restore into it, if
> that's what you're thinking... it will just overwrite the current
> file(s) in that target with what you extract from the backup, if the
> paths are exact matches.

The are you sure messages says otherwise. I thought I was doing good when
I extracted the contents of the linuxcnc directory while locally cd'd
to /home/gene/linuxcnc (which I had to create) but when the extraction
was finished, I had a sybdir tree of

/home/gene/linuxcnc/gene/linuxcnc/*

So I just mv'd them to where they belonged, nuking empty dirs as they
emptied out.

So it all worked out.  This was with deb of what I believe is 3.3.1p1 on
the clients, 3 of them, and a locally built 3.3.7p1 on this server.  The
last several times I tried to build a 4.something was a disaster, so I
got out of the "canary in the coal mine" business when my comments about
the failures were ignored.

I don't mind bleeding a little when the bleeding is stopped by the next
tarball download & build.  But that hasn't happened for about 2 years
now.

Thanks Joi.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)